Polish Oral History Association (PTHM), established in 2009 in Krakow, brings together
people and the circles that use oral history in their work in various areas of academic, cultural or social life. On the occasion of the 10th anniversary of the POHA, together with the Institute of History of the Jagiellonian University in Krakow and the Wrocław “Remembrance and Future” Centre, we would like to invite you to take part in the international conference Oral History in Action, that will take place in Krakow on 28-30 March 2019.
We are seeking for papers reflecting oral history as an activity and considering its
consequences, touching at least one of the following topics:
- oral history in contemporary social sciences and humanities: innovative projects and
approaches, interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary character as an epistemological
- practical and conceptual challenges of doing oral history in minority groups (e.g.
discriminated, advanced aged etc.)
- oral history as a public history: local, national and international level;
- oral history and politics, or political dimension of practising and promoting oral
- oral history as a tool of intentional social change vs. researcher’s neutrality:
epistemological and ethical dilemmas;
- oral history as a form of social and communal activity;
- oral history as a form of therapy;
- place of oral history in theory and practise of contemporary museums and NGOs;
- interviewees in the education projects: aims, forms and limits of engagement;
- new media and oral history: usage and abusage of memories in the Internet;
- legal problems of doing oral history.
To apply with a paper please send an abstract in English (approx. 300 words) along with your presentation title and your short bio to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline for submissions: 31 October 2018.
There is no fee for taking part in the conference. Chosen texts will be published in peerreviewed journal “Wrocław Yearbook of Oral History.”